Since the COVID-19 pandemic reached San Antonio in early March, Blue Cares, the non-profit community outreach arm of the San Antonio Police Officer’s Association (SAPOA), has been active helping families financially-impacted by the crisis.
Despite the quarantine and stay-at-home ordinance, Blue Cares found ways to help their community that differed from their regular projects.
- Although they were unable to hold their annual dinner for scholarship recipients, Blue Cares announced their scholarship winners via social media in May. A total of $16,000 in scholarship money was awarded to 14 students.
- At four events in May and June, Blue Cares partnered with the San Antonio Food Bank to provide breakfast tacos to volunteers (including the SAPD Traffic Unit) of the food bank’s COVID-19 Response Campaign, which distributed food to thousands of families in need.
- Blue Cares partnered with Generations Federal Credit Union to adopt seven Boysville Senior graduates. The seniors were given goody bags filled with $50 gift cards to Target, snacks, and more.
- Blue Cares provided 600 boxed lunches from Firehouse Subs to First Responders who patrolled Downtown San Antonio during the recent protests that took place.
- Blue Cares recently partnered up with TX Grandparents Raising Grandkids, a nonprofit organization that provides resources and services to grandparents and kinship caregivers who are raising their relatives. TXGRG created over 600 face masks and distributed them throughout the San Antonio community, donating 40 of them to the San Antonio Police Officers’ Association. In turn, Blue Cares is continuously working on helping the many families that participate in this program.
As a demonstration of Police Officers’ commitment to serving the community, Blue Cares is critical to the SAPOA mission and is made possible by police officers, citizen volunteers, and individuals and businesses sponsors. As Blue Cares staff and volunteers continue their work, they call on individuals and businesses to join them in helping San Antonio’s most disadvantaged children and their families. To volunteer, donate, or sponsor a Blue Cares event, please visit BlueCaresICare.com today!